I'm blessed to be living a bold, passionate life through helping others. I have a goal to touch move and inspire health and healing in 1,000,000 people by 2010 with my work and clinic. Maybe you will be one of the Million!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Why Calorie Counting Doesn't Work



We are all aware of the fact that portion sizes are going up...resteraunts are serving more food on a plate and sodas have gone from 6oz to 60oz in a decade. Nutritionists rightly harp on the danger of over-consuming calories and do battle daily with clients, teaching them to count calories, measure portions and have more will-power. We are inundated with articles such as this one (How much is too much? The bigger the portion, the more we overeat) from my very own Miami Herald. I used to marvel at how difficult it was to keep my clients to reasonable portion sizes. I wondered why it was so hard to just quit eating when you know you should. Some labeled it as an addiction and I watched people struggle. Some would do well for a while until their will-power buckled under the stress.
I now know that calorie-counting, in my own never-humble opinion, is crap. Yes, it is important to not consume more calories than you need...however we have been looking largely at the behavior and ignoring the cause. We have been telling people that it is mental...and just takes more will-power and education to start eating less... BULL $%!*.
I came to the realization that most of my clients were starved for the nutrients their body craved and that is why they are over-consuming foods. NOT just micro nutrients, but most of my clients were depriving their bodies of the proper MACROnutrients for their metabolic types. Many teach their bodies to turn to sugar and caffeine for energy. However, As soon after they begin eating metabolically, nearly EVERYONE decreases or eliminates thier sugar cravings. When they consume the proper ratio of carb/protein/fat for their type, they AUTOMATICALLY begin to feel full at the proper portion sizes...their bodies to not crave more food because it is getting exactly what it needs in that meal.
There are other factors which also help to balance hormonal systems and blood sugar (ie: eating organically and ridding yourself of any intestinal fungal blooms) but a vast majority of my clients begin seeing a huge difference in energy, body composition, cravings, and mood stability simply by eating metabolically.
Is metabolic eating a panacea? I believe that it needs to be worked in a way to make it easier to teach and more accessible to the general public but the science is sound and the results are amazing. It certainly has more long-term plausibility for my clientele than gems like: "Share your plate with a friend." or "Drink lots of water before you eat so you can feel full." It is my job as a coach to provide REAL solutions and provide my clients ways to get back in touch with their bodies...not tricks to ignore what their body is trying to tell them. Metabolic Eating is one such tool.
To learn more, I recommend "The Metabolic Typing Diet" by William Wolcott.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't count calories or fat grams or carbs. I just follow a philosophy to eat a wide variety of foods in their most natural state as possible. I have found that the more nourished I am, the less I eat overall. Some days it is actually a challenge to eat enough!

The biggest problem in our culture is the monstrous amount of cheap, crappy food. People want to pay nothing and get as much as possible to stuff their gobs without any thought of enjoying what they are eating. They don't stop and cherish the process of cooking, shopping, or trying new things. I really think there needs to be a culture of food snobbery. An idea that, "I won't eat that because I'm better than that." People really have no respect for their bodies and end up treating them like garbage cans, dumping in all kinds of waste. If only they realized that they deserved better.

I have found that I am in the minority in my circle because I would rather have a little bit of something really good than a whole pile of something only mediocre. But I have managed to keep off weight where my peers add it on every year.